Our kitchen is a wealth of ingredients that can help effectively manage everyday health issues. Therefore, not only our elders, but Ayurveda practitioners also recommend the daily use of cooking spices and herbs to improve our health. As such, Ayurvedic practitioner Dr Dixa Bhavsar explained how Fenugreek or methi seeds, which are easily found in most Indian cuisines, can help manage lifestyle issues besides adding flavor to foods.
“Methi (Fenugreek) is an amazing Ayurvedic herb, mostly found in all Indian cuisines, with diverse uses and many potential health benefits. From adding flavor to dishes and controlling diabetes to relieving constipation, methi the seeds also have various benefits for your skin, hair and health, ”Dr Bhavsar said in an Instagram post.
Fenugreek contains proteins, fats, carbohydrates, calcium, iron, folic acid, vitamins A, C, K, B, manganese, magnesium, potassium, copper, zinc, fiber and water, she mentioned.
She listed the benefits of the herb.
* It improves appetite and digestive Power. Also supports the secretion of breast milk.
* He controls Diabetes and improves cholesterol and blood pressure.
* It reduces hair loss, gray hair and uric acid (gout) levels. It improves blood levels (treats anemia) and also helps detoxify the blood.
* It is useful in the treatment of vata disorders such as neuralgia, paralysis, constipation, abdominal pain, bloating, pain in any part of the body (back pain, knee joint pain, cramps muscles).
* It helps relieve kapha disorders like cough, asthma, bronchitis, chest congestion and obesity.
When should it be avoided?
Since it is hot (weather), it should not be used in bleeding disorders such as nasal bleeding, heavy periods, etc. According to Dr. Bhavsar, due to its heat generating power, it helps to balance kapha and vata in the body.
How to use?
* Soak 1 to 2 tablespoons of seeds overnight and eat in the morning or drink as a tea.
* Take 1 teaspoon of methi powder twice a day before meals or in the evening with warm milk or water.
* Make a paste of the seeds and add it into curd / aloe vera gel / water and apply to scalp to reduce dandruff, hair loss, gray hair.
* The application of fenugreek paste prepared with rose water is useful for dark circles, acne, acne scars and wrinkles.
Should everyone be using it for medicinal purposes?
“It is always best to consult an Ayurvedic doctor before consuming it for medicinal purposes,” she noted.
?? For more lifestyle news, follow us on Instagram | Twitter | Facebook and don’t miss the latest updates!