Irishman Kevin O’Brien announces his retirement

Subscribe us on Google News


Irish all-rounder Kevin O’Brien ended his international career on Tuesday, announcing the decision on social media.

“Today I announce my retirement from international cricket after 16 years and 389 caps for my country. I was hoping to finish my career at the T20 World Cup in Australia but as I haven’t been selected for the Irish squad since last year’s World Cup I feel like the selectors and management are looking the other way,” said O’ Brien in your post.

O’Brien made his Irish debut in 2006 and was one of the longest-serving players in cricket. In the post, he said that he wanted to finish his career at the upcoming T20 World Cup in Australia, but after not being selected for the national team since last year’s World Cup, he decided to hang up his boots.

O’Brien is also Ireland’s leading wicket-taker in the ODI format, with 114 scalps at an average of 32.68 and an economic rate of 5.20.

He will, however, be remembered for a blistering 113 in 63 deliveries against England in Bengaluru, which remains the record for the fastest ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup century. O’Brien’s innings consisted of 13 fours and six sixes as the Men in Green chased a commanding goal of 328 runs.

He was also instrumental in driving Ireland to full Membership and the team was finally awarded Test status in 2017 after their continued success in global tournaments and World Cricket League events. In 2018, while playing for Pakistan, he became the only Irish player to earn a Test century with 118 runs.

The 38-year-old trails only Paul Stirling in terms of runs in all official international formats (5,820) and behind George Dockrell as the second-highest wicket-taker (172).